Re: OT (and Flamebait): Top-Posting

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:43:32 -0400
Stephen R Laniel <steve@laniels.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 07:31:01AM -0500, Jacob S wrote:
> > the extras such as font size and color. This means my mail archive
> > would be at least 4.2GB and easily more, instead of 1.4GB. Sorry,
> > but that's not just a difference of a "few hundred extra megabytes".
> >

> How many people do you think have 1.4-gig email
> archives? Gmail's original 1-gig archive was supposed to be
> enough for a lifetime.

Of the computers I work on, I probably know more that have mailboxes
>1GB than ones that don't. And Netscrape/Mozilla helps this out by not
really deleting an e-mail from the mbox file, even after you move it to
the trash can. Several times I've had to clean out mailboxes (sometimes
for hard drive space, sometimes to lighten the cpu load) by renaming a
folder and moving all of the messages to a new folder with the old name.

But more importantly, my boss at work has a mailbox close to 2GB (and
he's using Outlook).

> Earlier in our lives, it was a big deal when hard-disk
> prices fell below $1 per megabyte. I recently bought a
> 200-gig drive for $100. Assume the $1-per-meg limit
> was hit 15 years ago (I think it was less than that, but it
> was at most 15). So in 15 years the per-gig price of hard
> disks dropped 2000-fold. If that rate holds, you'll be able
> to get 400-terabyte drives in 2020 for $100. Even if the
> estimate is off by a a factor of 100, that's still a
> 4TB drive for $100.
>
> And you're really worried about disk space? Is that honestly
> a big concern to you? I'm surprised, is all.

Considering that I upgrade my computer only when it needs it (usually
hardware failure of some sort), yes, I watch my space usage. I'm not one
of those overpaid computer geeks, or a government employee, so I don't
like spending money on hard drives just because they're bigger and
cheaper. Ok, so a single 200GB hard drive is only $100 - but that's only
one toy out of more than 4 dozen that I want. :-) And upgrading just so
that I can get fancier e-mail seems like a big waste to me. If I wanted
fancy, I would be using a web forum, not a mailing list.

I'll also mention that I currently have a 160GB hard drive. And if I
wanted to start ripping some of my favorite dvds to the hard drive, I
would have room to fit one, maybe two - if I juggled some files around.
It helps that my computer also happens to be a backup server for about 9
other computers on the network. (And this is my personal computer at
home.)

Jacob