Re: Creating a task launcher.....

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 09:40:38AM -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> > What's wrong with lowering the brain use of the user?
>     Atrophy.

I think maybe we're looking at the problem in two different
ways: your point seems to be that it would be better for
users if they behaved in a certain way, and mine is that we
can't expect them to do so.

If we agree that we can't expect users to learn vim or emacs
or the command-line, and yet we're still focused on
displacing Windows with Linux, then it seems to me that we
have to focus on how the world is rather than how it should
be.

>    They had to pass a test to be allowed to drive, which probably
>    required at least a little reading and/or instruction.

Well, yes: so that they wouldn't kill people. The
consequences of being unable to use a command line (which is
different from "computer illiteracy" -- being computer
literate means being able to use a web browser, word
processor, &c.) are pretty minor, really.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org