Re: OT (and Flamebait): Top-Posting

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> I get a few hundred messages a day, and I never delete any
> mail other than spam. My archives over the last *four years*
> total about 900 megs.

    Happy for ya.  My dad hasn't upgraded his email client in 5 years and has
mail going back 5 years beyond that.  Just because *your* experience is
different does not invalidate mine which is...

> Again, I think that we on this list are a particularly
> computer-savvy breed, and the size of our email archives is
> quite a bit larger than most.

    ...that the people I know (My father, his friend, my wife, other friends)
who are all not computer savvy have archives larger than 1Gb.

> Email is not a bandwidth problem. If we're looking for a
> place to focus our bandwidth worries, how about porn or
> MP3s? Email is the dead-last concern.

    So says the person who hasn't had email causing problems with their online
games.  Porn and MP3 downloads are not a problem because they are pull
technologies.  IE, I control when my systems get them.  When someone sends me
mail it is a push technology.  IE, I don't control when the mail comes in.  I
can tell when a large clump of mail comes through when playing CS:S because my
ping jumps.  Translating all my non-html, low attachment mail to XML, huge
attachment monstrosities would be something I'd notice in a heartbeat.  Even
worse would be when my wife sends out such mail since my upload bandwith is
about 1/10th my download bandwidth.