CPU fans shut off by Debian?

Hello,
	I am running Sarge 2.4.27-2-686-smp on an intel SR1435VP2(which is
a 1U server platform)  with dual 2.8 Xeon processors.  I am required to
run the 2.4 kernel for my application.  What appears to happen is that at
some random time after power on (~6-20 hrs), the cpu fans shut off which
causes the system to overheat and shut down.  I can immediately restart
the system but the fans will not come on for 2-3 hrs after the initial
fail.  The system without fans can only run for ~5 min before overheating
and shutting down again.  Physically unplugging the power cord does not
affect this 2-3 hour time window.  The server chassis has been replaced by
the vendor once.  The server has been plugged into different outlets and
at different locations.  We have already learned about the off by one bug
with acpi and are now passing the acpi=force kernel boot arguement.  ACPI
is running, but the fans still stop and the system overheats.  We have
been fighting this for about 6 weeks now.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.  Please inform me if I have not provided enough information.

	Thank you,
	Stephen Lokitz
	Duke University Medical Center