Newbie selecting package manager

After having used Red Hat 9 and Knoppix (hard disk install), I installed Sarge
a while ago and plan to stick with it. Now I need to select a package manager
to use  that fits my needs. My laptop is used for office applications
(creating documents, some graphics, presentation, browsing, e-mail, etc.) and
I don't anticipate installing and removing too many applications.

I'm leaning toward using apt (and maybe occasionally using Synaptic) rather
then Aptitude. Given my use, shouldn't the simplicity of apt be adequate over
the long haul?

Is using deborphan and -- purge just as effective as Aptitude's cleaning
methods? If so, then what's Aptitude's advantage? Or is this just a matter of
preference?

- Elmer E. Dow