Re: Newbie selecting package manager

Elmer E. Dow wrote:

After having used Red Hat 9 and Knoppix (hard disk install), I installed Sarge a while ago and plan to stick with it. Now I need to select a package manager to use that fits my needs. My laptop is used for office applications (creating documents, some graphics, presentation, browsing, e-mail, etc.) and I don't anticipate installing and removing too many applications.

I'm leaning toward using apt (and maybe occasionally using Synaptic) rather then Aptitude. Given my use, shouldn't the simplicity of apt be adequate over the long haul?

Is using deborphan and -- purge just as effective as Aptitude's cleaning methods? If so, then what's Aptitude's advantage? Or is this just a matter of preference?

- Elmer E. Dow
If you like synaptic, you can stick with it for now. But in the mean time learn apt-get. Sometimes you want to do things which are (easy to do|possible only) from the command line. Then apt-get comes in handy.

Regarding aptitude vs. apt-get, it is a religious war. You can choose either one. Both have its advantages and disadvantages. I started with apt-get and it fulfilled all my requirements, so I never felt like learning aptitude. If I had started with aptitude, probably the opposite thing would have happened.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi