Re: Installation Questions

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:47:30PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Rapp, Chad M wrote:
>
> >I have to quick questions, I have limited experience on UNIX machines and I am looking to setup a dual-boot system on my home PC with Debian Linux/Windows XP.
> >
> >1- Do you know of any freeware/shareware utilities that I can partition
> >my disk with.  fdisk and fips are both shutout by XP.
>
> [snip] ... There's been a lot of work on reverse-engineering NTFS, with
> quite a bit of success, but not enough to make it safe for a
> non-Microsoft-approved partitioning tool. parted _might_ do the job
> nowadays, but last time I checked, it didn't. I think you'll either have
> to go with a commercial tool, like Partition Magic, or backup XP, and
> manually resize the partition and restore/reinstall XP. An easier way
> would be to use another hard drive for the Linux side.

Um, wrong.  I just did this a couple of days ago with ntfsresize, which is
on the Etch install image.  It worked beautifully.

Mind you, I definitely suggest backing up first.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.