Re: ntfs access on debian

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 01:29:03AM +0200, Olle Eriksson wrote:
> On Sunday 03 July 2005 23.49, Leonardo S�rote:
> > I want to have a partition to access both on winxp and debian, however,
> > i want it to be easy to use on both OSes. What I did was to format a
> > NTFS partition, which i successfully mounted on winxp on the "my
> > documents" folder, and I was planning to mount the same partition under
> > "/home/user". However, is it safe to enable write access to ntfs
> > partitions on linux? If not, is there any other better alternatives?
>
> I had all my documents on FAT32 partitions for a long time until I
> realized I was never using Windows anymore. I also wanted larger files
> than FAT32 allow, and the ability to set file permissions that Linux can
> read.
>
> I am not sure about write-enabled ntfs partitions under Linux. Most people
> say it is unreliable and that it will never be reliable, but I'm not sure
> if people base that on real experience or just hearing other people say
> so.

As I understand it, and I may be very wrong (all this is plausible hearsay)
there are two ntfs drivers available for Linux.

One was written according to spec, and is therefore unreliable,
because Microsoft never follows spec.  They call it allosing their
programmers creativity.  I call it strategic incompetence. (i.e.,
their strategy is to be incompetent by any ordinary estimation, and
thereby they achieve nonibteroperability and client lockin)

The other is simply Microsoft's own ntfs implementation, run in a
box that emulates the appropriate other parts of Linux.  This one works,
but cannot be distributed as part of linux, although I suppose
the box that wraps Microsoft's code can.

-- hendrik