Re: hostname change

I've been googling and reading, and find that there's no consistency
in setting the value of hostname.

My FQDN is teufel.hartford-hwp.com. A few places said to use the
localhost name ("teufel"), in some others, it suggested just the
domain ("hartford-hwp.com"), and most often it is the FQDN.

Changing the hostname is intimidating. I see (inconsistent) directions
for doing so, but also the warnings: Never do it! I gather it does
things to .Xauthority which are bad, and when I grep my /etc directory
to see what needs changing, there are entries in /ssh/ that I'm afraid
to edit by hand.

I think I'll stick with what I have, since for a stand-alone
workstation, the hostname does not make much difference anyway.

If my current hostname is OK, then the problem boils down to
gnus. When I send messages to a newsgroup, it sets the From line to my
FQDN, and that is unacceptable for a specific reason.

So where does gnus get the value to put in the From line of the header
of outgoing messages? Simply from /etc/hostname, /etc/mailname, or
/etc/postfix/main.cf ?

I need to tell gnus to use just my domain name in the From line in the
header. Anyone know how to do that? Unfortunately, nntp server may not
like it.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM