Re: Migrating from Windows to Debian - keeping email messages from Outlook Express

En/La Dom Delimar ha escrit, a 04/07/05 18:52:
> I'm actually not a Debian user yet, but I'm preparing to migrate from
> WinXP to Debian so I thought this could be a good place to ask for
> help as some of you must have been in the same situation already. I
> hope.
>
> So how can I keep all my emails from Outlook Express and integrate
> them into any of the Linux mail clients? I actually don't know which
> any of these are as I expect to get something when I install my Debian
> package.
>
> Since I assume there are many different mail clients for Linux, it
> would help if you could just explain for the one you have used after
> Outlook Express or that you know how data from Outlook Express can be
> integrated into.
>
> Thank You very much,
> Dom

Hi Dom,
My suggestion would be that you first wean yourself away from all MS
applications. Even in XP you don't really need any of them.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Email client - Thunderbird - you can export all your outlook express
stuff (mailboxes, address books) etc. to Tbird. You can do this directly
to the linux version also.
2. Browser - Firefox - ditto for IE bookmarks.
3. Office suite - openoffice (it will read all your MSOffice stuff)
Those are the basics. Once you get used to using them in XP, they'll be
familiar faces when you move to Debian. They all run on debian and look
pretty much the same. In 2 weeks you will forget you ever had Windows.
I'd personally suggest you download the netinst version of "testing"
(known as Etch). It may sound scary but it's really quite steady. To
install just burn the iso image onto a CD. Your CD burning software
should have a menu item like "Burn CD Image". It will then create a cd
you can boot from. This is all assuming that you have (a) a CD burner
and (b) a reasonably fast connection to the internet. The CD will
install the basic (including your internet connection) and you can
download the rest as part of the installation process. Be sure to select
the 2.6 kernel and you will have an easy time of getting your sound
working. Make sure you know the specs of your hardware: video card,
monitor, network card (although I never needed that; Debian always
spotted it), sound card, keyboard, mouse. At some point you will get a
chance to select components you want installed. If you don't have space
problems be generous. Select everything you could conceivably use. You
can always get rid of stuff you don't need later.
Learn to google.
Remember the names: alsa (sound), cups (printing), samba (LAN; sharing,
shared printing). Get comfortable running stuff from command line.
Remember this filename: /etc/apt/sources.list - this is where all your
free goodies come from and you may add to it now and then.
Remember this filename: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
This is where all your X-settings are kept. When something goes wrong,
you need to change settings here.
Get used to reading the helpfiles, manuals, etc. Search for answers
yourself before asking for help.
All this sounds so different from Windows but I'm an old geezer, over
60. It took me about a week to get used to all this.
Have fun and enjoy debian.
Jonathan

--
Please don't cc: your posting to my personal address.
Thank you.