Re: installing sarge to lvm

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 05:37:37PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:23:31PM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 09:29:15PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > > After that, you go back to the partitioner and then the new LVM
> > > logical volumes will appear at the bottom of the list.  Then you
> > > select them one at a time and assign them to the
> > > partitions/whatever you want.
> >
> > Nope. All I see are the four disk partitions.
> >
> > The 'Modify Logical Volumes' gives only 'Create' and 'Delete' as
> > options. It seems strange that the only way to see a list of logical
> > volumes already created is to pretend you want to delete one of
> > them. This shows the list to select from and shows that the file
> > systems are unknown and there is no mount point.
> >
> I forget exactly where the options are, but once you create the
> logical volumes, they should be listed by the partitioner.
>
> > > In my case, I have logical volumes called var, usr, local, and opt
> > > in a volume group called vg00.  I have / and /boot on their own
> > > real partitions, for good measure.
> >
> > Yes, that's pretty much what I want to do.
> >
> > > In the partitioner, I had to go and select /dev/mapper/vg00-usr
> > > and tell it I wanted ext3 and to mount it as /usr.  Once I figured
> > > out the correct sequence it was not too difficult. Unfortunately
> > > that part of the install process seems a little too unintuitive.
> >
> > Rather than simply unintuitive I think it's either non-existent or
> > superbly hidden.
> >
> That is quite strange.  I am not sure what to tell you.

I think I've discovered the problem. *Sometimes* I'll be asked if I want
to activate the logical volumes. It seems to happen when I proceed
directly without any "exploring", that is without changing my mind about
which option to select next and without backing up to redo something.
*IFF* that question is asked and I answer 'yes' then the logical volumes
will be presented for formating, etc.

--
In giving advice, seek to help, not please, a friend. -Anonymous
    Rick Pasotto    rick@niof.net    http://www.niof.net