Re: encrypting the users' folders

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 06:17:12PM -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> Anyway, the point is that you really *shouldn't* trust the
> root user if you don't have to. And if you can encrypt your
> filesystem, you should.

You do have to trust the entity that provides your service, and its
agents, at least to some extent.

For example, an encrpyted filesystem does you no good if you are
using the hardware provided by the hosting company which can insert
keyloggers and take copies of the private keys which must be
available to decrypt the filesystem.

Naturally that they might wish to do this is ridiculous and most
people could trust most companies not to do such a thing (although
depending on jurisdiction they can be compelled to allow lawful
interception).

Every day you trust your service providers not to do bad things to
you so the suggestion that no one is to be trusted is in my opinion
needlessly paranoid.

Or do you grow all your own food because you can't trust suppliers
not to put razor blades in it?