Re: encrypting the users' folders

On Saturday 02 July 2005 11:16 pm, Dominik Margraf wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Currently, the default setting is that root can see and modify
> anything, including the contents of the users' folders, moreover,
> users can also see the contents of other users' folders by default.
> These pose a significant confidentiality and security risk.
>
> Therefore is there any way to encrypt all users' folders and making
> the computer to set this up by default when a new user is generated?
> So that even the root can't see the contents of the users' folders.
>
> Dominik

The default permission for the first user (greg) on a new install on my
Sarge box is: 'drwxr-xr--   70 greg greg   4096 2005-07-02 15:22 greg'
No other using can cd into or view the contents of the 'greg' home
directory. This is the equivalent of an octal setting of '754', so if
your home dir does not have these permissions set, doing the following
command from a command prompt on a home directory will make the dir
accessible to the user only.
'chmod -R 754 /home/<user name>/'

--
Greg Madden