ltmodem setup

Hi guys,

I'm running Etch on a Compaq Armada m700.  It has a built in lucent
modem, and I have the driver version 8.26a from the ltmodem.org site.

When I run ./build_module, I get the following output:
Now acquiring distribution data:
The Linux distribution is:   debian, testing/unstable
TARGET_CPU=
        End of distribution check.

UPDATE=2004 April 25
 A /dev/modem symbolic link is not set.

Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 0000:00:09.1
  with vendor-ID:device-ID
            ----:----
0700: 11c1:0445   Serial controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
(prog-if 00 [8250])
  SubSystem 8086:2203   Intel Corp. PRO/100+ MiniPCI (probably an Ambit
U98.003.C.00 combo card)
0000:00:09.1 0700: 11c1:0445
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at 3430 [size=8]
        Memory at 41300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

And then it hangs.  Running the scanmodem script gives me the same, so I
assume it's that script that hangs.  Removing the line where scanmodem
gets called, gives me the following:

        To begin compilation of lt_modem.o and lt_serial.o,  Enter

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Checking for driver products:

Compilation of lt_modem.o failed,
as expected from absence of modversions.h

And scrolling up I see:

configure support only for 2.2, 2.4 and 2.5 kernels

This works out of the box on SUSE 9.3, with the same version of the
driver, so at least I know that the driver *can* work with 2.6 kernels.

Does anybody know how to get this working?  There is a .deb package for
download too, but it hangs at the same scanmodem part.

Thanks
--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy