Re: encrypting the users' folders

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 11:25:21AM -0500, Adam Fabian wrote:
> The short version is that you must trust the root user, period

That's nice as a general guideline, but most of the time you
have no reason to trust *or* distrust the root user. Most
people's sysadmins are through big corporations like Pair or
Earthlink or whatever. Users have no reason to trust those
companies, except perhaps if the companies have included
some data-protection constraints in their warrantees.
Assuming that these people should be trusted is no better
than assuming that a company like Verisign should be
trusted; in both cases you're assuming that trust follows
axiomatically from authority. In some cases that makes sense
(I trust the New York Times more than I trust Indymedia,
say, because more people are watching when the NYT makes a
mistake), but not usually. That's why I'm a fan of the PGP
web of trust.

Anyway, the point is that you really *shouldn't* trust the
root user if you don't have to. And if you can encrypt your
filesystem, you should.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org