Re: Fixing Mistake in grub config.lst; Need Rescue Disk

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:47:51 -0500
Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote:

> 	I successfully installed Debian from a CDROM burned from the image
>
> debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso
>
> 	I then tried to install a 2.6.5 kernel on that system and must
> have incorrectly modified /boot/grub/menu.lst because the system
> doesn't boot.  I did think to make a backup of the original menu.lst
> file but then I discovered that if I boot from the Debian installation
> CDROM, I can't seem to use the shell one can spawn to mount any file
> systems.  Is it possible to use that disk as a repair disk?  If so,
> what am I missing?  The drive is already formatted and only needs to
> be mounted so I can do the 5-second mv operation that I now have spent
> about 6 hours trying to accomplish.
>
> 	If that disk isn't a good repair disk, is there an image I can
> download which understands the ext3 file system?
>
> 	One other thing that may complicate this request is that I
> need to do this via the serial console.  The installation CD I burned
> from the image indicated above lets one do this all right so what I
> need is something like that that will let me directly mount the root
> file system.  Thanks for any help.

Look for this on lwn.net.. (pretty sure this is where I got my copy)
tomsrtbt-2.0.103.tar.gz
It's a floppy disk linux ...  boot from it, mount your /boot partition and restore your menu.lst..
I've had to do the same thing when it got trashed trying to get it to do a splashimage... :-(

Anyway..  it works great as a safe way to boot and do repairs without having to boot a full Live CD like Knoppix or something..  I keep the floppy in my top left desk drawer cause I'm always muckin with things and heaven knows I've screwed up on more than one occasion..

--
Cheers: Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...