Re: KDE 3.4.1 .ICEauthority

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:00:51 -0500
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Wackojacko wrote:
>
> > I am running the Unstable AMD64 port and have just upgraded to KDE
> > 3.4.1 from alioth and KDE failed to start with an error stating
> > '/home/user/.ICEAuthority permission denied'.  I have fixed this by
> > chown user:user /home/user/.ICEAuthority but is this the correct
> > solution?  Is it a bug?
> >
> > FYI I am also using Xorg 6.8 from Ubuntu Hoary archives.
> >

> On my Sid x86 box with X11 (not X.org):
>
> > enjae[westk]:/home/westk> ls -ld .ICEauthority
> > -rw-------  1 westk westk 3018 2005-05-29 18:17 .ICEauthority
>

> --

When I was using Fluxbox, it would frequently NOT want to load/run KDE applications at times.  I tracked it down to the same file.  As it turned out, the ownership was being changed to root:root instead of me:me..  SOOOO...  I just put a little script in my fluxbox startup that checked the ownership of the file and if it wasn't me then sudo chown me:me the.file ....  As far as I know, that process never caused any problems for me...

(2cents provide by mr mike)

--
Cheers: Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...