Fixing Mistake in grub config.lst; Need Rescue Disk

	I successfully installed Debian from a CDROM burned from the image

debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso

	I then tried to install a 2.6.5 kernel on that system and must
have incorrectly modified /boot/grub/menu.lst because the system
doesn't boot.  I did think to make a backup of the original menu.lst
file but then I discovered that if I boot from the Debian installation
CDROM, I can't seem to use the shell one can spawn to mount any file
systems.  Is it possible to use that disk as a repair disk?  If so,
what am I missing?  The drive is already formatted and only needs to
be mounted so I can do the 5-second mv operation that I now have spent
about 6 hours trying to accomplish.

	If that disk isn't a good repair disk, is there an image I can
download which understands the ext3 file system?

	One other thing that may complicate this request is that I
need to do this via the serial console.  The installation CD I burned
from the image indicated above lets one do this all right so what I
need is something like that that will let me directly mount the root
file system.  Thanks for any help.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group