Re: Fixing Mistake in grub config.lst; Need Rescue Disk

Martin McCormick:

> 	I then tried to install a 2.6.5 kernel on that system and must
> have incorrectly modified /boot/grub/menu.lst because the system
> doesn't boot.

If you know the correct parameters (or know how to guess it), you can
edit the boot entries by pressing 'e' in the grub menu. I understand you
have no access to this menu, since you only have a serial console,
though.

In the future you can add some lines like this to your menu.lst, which
makes the grub menu available via serial line:

serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
terminal serial
terminal console

See the grub documentation for an explanation and how you might have to
adjust this to your environment.

>  I did think to make a backup of the original menu.lst
> file but then I discovered that if I boot from the Debian installation
> CDROM, I can't seem to use the shell one can spawn to mount any file
> systems.  Is it possible to use that disk as a repair disk?  If so,
> what am I missing?  The drive is already formatted and only needs to
> be mounted so I can do the 5-second mv operation that I now have spent
> about 6 hours trying to accomplish.

I am not sure how to do that over serial line, but when you boot the
disc normally, you can always change to another VT by pressing Alt-Fn
just like in any other Linux system. Maybe you are lucky with expert
mode?

> 	If that disk isn't a good repair disk, is there an image I can
> download which understands the ext3 file system?

I do not know if any of the usual live CD-ROMs enable access via serial
console by default, but you may try Knoppix or "damn small linux".

J.
--
There is no justice in road accidents.
[Agree]   [Disagree]