Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:34:28PM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:52:00 -0700
> "Steve C. Lamb" <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

> >     XFCE calls it the "Mini Command Line".  KDE calls it something else which
> > I am most likely misremembering as "Launch Bar".  It is not the panel at the

> Alt-F2, or "run command". Actually, I am not certain that it has
> another term.

    Nope, that's not it.  That's something else.  This is a text entry box
embedded in the panel.

> In the "old" days, one would put the X preferences of applications
> inside a custom .xinitrc file, so that every time you typed "rxvt &"
> the session would apply the preferred options. Doing that, or
> using a shell wrapper or alias would alleviate that issue.

    True, which is effectively what the icons are.  They just don't need to
start a terminal to access the alias or wrapper first.  ;)

> A long time ago, I learned to rely on a neat feature of
> bash: ctrl-R, "backwards interactive search". I just got used to
> hitting ctrl-R and typing the first letter or two of the command I
> wanted.

    zsh has something similar.  First 2-3 letteres then Esc-P to go through
all matching commands.  :D