Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 03:38:38PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "launch bar"? Is it Xfce's thing
> at the bottom of the desktop that shows menus and the like? What's so
> special about it?

    XFCE calls it the "Mini Command Line".  KDE calls it something else which
I am most likely misremembering as "Launch Bar".  It is not the panel at the
bottom, it is a plugin for the panel which allows the user to enter a command
as if it were on the CLI and have it executed.  Neither the XFCE or KDE
versions have tab compilation and only the KDE version has a history.

    Where it comes in handy is when I want to start something that I know the
name of and that name isn't ungodly.  For example, xchat.  I've never made an
icon, menu item or other such thing to start xchat.  I put get a cursor in the
MCL type "xchat" and return and up it comes.  gaim, same thing.  openoffice,
same thing.  In fact the only things in the panel as launch buttons are:

My terminal: I never learned the command line for the GNOME Terminal and
rxvt's command line which I have memorized is too long to type out every time.
(rxvt -bg black -fg white -cr green -sl 1500)

XFFM/Nautilus/Konqueror - Yes, one icon for each as it is a small menu.  Never
learned exactly what was needed for the first two and I am a cronic misspeller
of the last one.

Firefox: Because for some reason Debian's command line for it is
mozilla-firefox which is too long for casual use.

Thunderbird: same as above, mozilla-thunderbird?  Guh.

Azureus:  Dunno why that's an icon, really.  Hmmm, should remove that.

    Anyway the MCL pretty much takes care of anything else that I need at a
moments notice without the need of opening up a terminal first.