Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On (13/06/05 17:56), Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:35:23PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > --- Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Educate me: what's the difference?
> > A Window Manager, on the other hand, does just that -- it manages
> > windows.  It doesn't dictate a file manager -- if you want one, you
> > can use one.  There's no interoperability or common functions shared
> > between programs, like there is with DEs.  It certainly provides a
> > great deal more flexibility.
>
> > So in that way, WMs are much faster, and most WMs are damn good at
> > managing the windows mapped to them.
>
> Does that mean that xfce4 is a good compromise then between both of
> these concepts given you can install as many or as few of the components
> as you like once you have the basic libraries installed? ;)

I reckon ;)  Having started with KDE and switched to xfce, it seems an
excellent compromise.  I tried a few WM's and icewm came close to what I
was looking for but it was just a bit too light on frills and whistles.
Whereas xfce has some really useful features without the bloat of KDE.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...