Re: Solved: kernel panich VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

Craig Russell wrote:

In terms of mirroring the boot disk I was referring to an LVM or raidtools setup with a raid1 mirror. If it is done, I'd like to be able to boot off of either disk in the event of a failure.

Unless I'm missing something, LILO or grub already allow that without
the need for initrd or modules. Either change the boot device in the
BIOS (assuming the mirror is bootable) or select the mirror as root
drive in the lilo/grub boot command line options.  (see man lilo/grub)

  Most of the
how-to's I have found indicate initrd must be used so that the LVM or raid1 modules can be loaded and the filesystems read prior to the disks being mounted.

That makes sense but since you are compiling a custom kernel anyway you
can just avoid modules and initrd by compiling the drivers into the kernel,
thus (hopefully) sidestepping your booting problem with initrd.

  I come from a Solaris background so I'm kind of feeling
my way around in the linux world right now.

It work abouts the same as in Solaris or SunOS.  Just reconfigure (make
xconfig or make menuconfig) for all compiled-in drivers instead of modules
("y" instead of "m" in your .config).

Thanks,

Craig Russell
AirDigitalNetwork.com