Re: kernel panich VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 05:54:21PM -0400, Craig Russell wrote:
> Trying to compile the 2.6.8 kernel from the debian source package
> (patched) and I keep on running into this problem after reboot.  I
> have gone back and checked to make sure that the ide drivers have been
> compiled in but after 5 or 6 attempts I am still getting this error.
> The kernel appears to compile fine.  I am using Lilo to as my boot
> manager and I created an initrd.img with mkinitrd -o
> /boot/initrd.img.2.6.8 2.6.8.  I created the kernel package via
> fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image  and this
> installs fine (or so it appears).
>
> I've been searching the web and tried many of the suggestions but I'm
> still getting the same error.
>
> The end result of this operation is to run free/swan with the native
> ipsec support in the 2.6 kernel.
>

> Thanks for any help you can offer.

OK.  Two things:

1. Use GRUB.  It is better.  It is easier to configure.  It doesn't
require a reinstall for every new kernel.
2. Don't make an initrd unless you have a really good reason (e.g., you
want / on LVM or LVM+RAID, or you also need the kernel to fit on a
floppy and you can't get the core small enough).

Now, on to sloving the problem.  What filesystem is your / partition?
What filesystems are you buidling with the kernel?  If they are modules,
are you sure that they are in the initrd?  What are the contents of your
initrd and what is your kernel config?

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez