Re: Solved: kernel panich VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

Marty wrote:

Craig Russell wrote:

It was recommended that I *NOT* use initrd unless I absolutely had a reason (booting from LVM or raid, etc) but all of the debian images come in this manner and I have been unable to compile a kernel and get it to boot without initrd. Am I missing something?

I could be missing something but I have always associated ramdisks with
modules and stock installation kernels, because with the ramdisk the kernel
doesn't need a block device or other peripherals to be running while the
OS probes the hardware or get hardware information from the user. I guess it's there in the stock kernel so that the same kernel can be used to by the
install media.

Other uses include rescue/utility disks and filesystem image manipulation
like CD-ROM burning. I don't see any need for the average user to have it
in their custom kernel unless you need to burn CD-ROMs or are creating a
standalone kernel specifically for diagnostics purposes, e.g. for use in
a custom utility or rescue floppy, USB drive or CD-ROM (i.e. something that
has to be able to boot up on any machine).

  At some point I will be

attempting to mirror the boot disk so I will need initrd anyway

I don't see how that will help.  Tar, rsync or cp should be sufficient.

 so I

don't mind having to set it up but is it required for all kernels or is there a way to not use it?

Not as far as my needs are concerned.  I've compiled custom kernels for
rescue floppies but that's all.

As a -semi-related aside, does anyone remember any LKML messages where Linus
seems to be exasperated and periodically threatens to deprecate modules
because people were getting so dependant on them?  I agreed with him, but
he could have been joking or I could be "misremembering" it.   I thought
the idea was that modules (and therefore most uses of initrd) are obsolete
anyway.

Thanks,

Craig Russell
AirDigitalNetwork.com

In terms of mirroring the boot disk I was referring to an LVM or raidtools setup with a raid1 mirror. If it is done, I'd like to be able to boot off of either disk in the event of a failure. Most of the how-to's I have found indicate initrd must be used so that the LVM or raid1 modules can be loaded and the filesystems read prior to the disks being mounted. I come from a Solaris background so I'm kind of feeling my way around in the linux world right now.
Thanks,

Craig Russell
AirDigitalNetwork.com