Re: kernel panich VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 06:16:52PM -0400, Craig Russell wrote:

> Craig Russell wrote:
>
> >Chris Bannister wrote:

> >>Post /boot/grub/menu.1st
> >>
> >>Post /etc/fstab
> >>

> >Ok-
>
> I ended up giving up on this for the moment since I need to get this
> machine deployed so I went with the kernel-image package from
> debian.org.  This, of course, worked perfectly and loaded up in no time

Hi,

Sorry I couldn't help quickly enough. I have not dedicated connection
to the internet, others need phone, and only upload/download mail every
24hrs or so.

I'm pleased you have now got it working. I am not an expert, but were you
going from kernel 2.2.20-idepci to a custom kernel 2.6.8?

That is a big and brave step due to the modularised kernel (>= 2.4).

So you are now running a 2.6 Kernel using apt-get? If so, 1) compare
config files (under /boot/config-xxxxx) against your custom
/boot/config-xxxx). Also the act of 'apt-get install kernel-image-2.6xxxx'
will pull in any packages needed for module handling. Oh, 'apt-get
install kernel-source-2.6xxx' should pull in any packages needed for
module handling?

Since machine is now deployed and working you perhaps have time to
research this?

--
Chris.
======