Re: kernel panich VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

Craig Russell wrote:

Chris Bannister wrote:

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 09:54:09PM -0400, Craig Russell wrote:

  ok-
  taking these suggestions (and I concur, grub is a lot easier) I still
  have the same problem with the kernel panic.  / is on /dev/hda1 swap
  on /dev/hda2; grub recognizes the new kernel and it is an option on
  the menu.  I went back and re-verifed that ext2 and ext3 filesystems
  are configured into the kernel and *NOT* as modules.  I did a make
  clean and a make-dpkg clean and recompiled and re-installed the new
  kernel.  No compilation errors, no installation errors, but still the
  same can't mount root fs error.
One thing I'm confused on is the ide drivers in the 2.6 kernel. While
  reading the help under ATA, etc. it states that I should be using the
  scsi driver for ide drives unless I have legacy equipment (which I
don't, Vision computers x86 based, new in the last 2 weeks), but under
  the scsi drivers section it asks for a specific driver and does not
  list anything remotely close to what i've got.
  So, I'm at a logjam.
  Thanks for the help
  Craig Russell
  Airdigitalnetwork.com

Post /boot/grub/menu.1st

Post /etc/fstab

Ok-

I ended up giving up on this for the moment since I need to get this machine deployed so I went with the kernel-image package from debian.org. This, of course, worked perfectly and loaded up in no time and booted the first time out of the blocks. This is great but I'd still like to figure out what I was doing wrong with my home-compliled kernel. Is there a way to compare the two kernels to see which module/s the packaged kernel has installed that I missed in my kernel? Thanks again for the help

Craig Russell
AirDigitalNetwork.com