Re: Sudden constant spoofing of my address

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 04:27:26PM -0500, Thomas Stivers wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 05:19:12 PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 10:05:04PM +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > > I would like to always sign my emails, but I always worry that people will
> > > dislike the extra overhead, and maybe find it hard to read.  Do most clients
> > > display GPG signatures nicely now?
> > >
> > Pretty much.  And since most now do S/MIME and PGP/MIME instead of the
> > old ASCII inline, if they don't it shows up as some random attachment,
> > instead of a bunch of crap at the top and bottom of a message.
>
> The problem is that you can't use it universally because there are still
> way too many people using M$ products which simply don't display any
> body for messages that are pgp/mime signed. Unfortunately these people
> tend to be bosses, elderly family members, Etc. so you have to make an
> effort to exclude them from receiving pgp/mime signed messages. Still
> it's nice to have the if it ain't signed it ain't mine explanation.

If they are using it at home or at a workplace with lenient IT policies
there are lots of options:

http://www.google.com/search?q=gpg+outlook
http://www.google.com/search?q=gpg+%22outlook+express%22

Of course, to really make this work nicely you need a slick server-side
filtering setup (e.g., maildrop or sieve or procmail on an IMAP server).
I guess a resonable client that can check for attachments can be made to
extract the sigs and verify them, but I am not sure.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr