Re: Clarify Sarge Release

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Wednesday June 8 2005 1:32 pm, Jim Hall wrote:

Sounds good. Next link in the chain, will I have to use
'dist-upgrade'?

Yes, though you might find visual representation of what you're doing helpful. You might want to do this instead:

apt-get install aptitude

Then, once that is installed, run aptitude. Hit u to update the package list, g to Get-er-done (install/remove/upgrade packages based on what you've changed).

Those times I've used it have usually had bad results.

But that's what bugreport is for. The developers can't fix what they don't know about. For faster service, include your bugfix in a patch.

One developer is very aware of my bad results. Even though the melt down was deemed not to be entirely my fault for doing it, I'll carry scars to my grave. With all due respect, I hope your use of "bugfix" and "patch" is not a suggestion I provide any kind of solution. I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag even with a squad of Marines to help. :)

Jim

If I can continue to manually repair what's 'held back', that seems safer to me.

Use aptitude instead and you can work out any last-second package conflict/depends aliens before you commit to downloading and installing/removing.