Re: Clarify Sarge Release

On Wednesday June 8 2005 1:32 pm, Jim Hall wrote:
> Sounds good. Next link in the chain, will I have to use
> 'dist-upgrade'?

Yes, though you might find visual representation of what you're doing
helpful.  You might want to do this instead:

apt-get install aptitude

Then, once that is installed, run aptitude.  Hit u to update the
package list, g to Get-er-done (install/remove/upgrade packages based
on what you've changed).

> Those times I've used it have usually had bad
> results.

But that's what bugreport is for.  The developers can't fix what they
don't know about.  For faster service, include your bugfix in a
patch.

> If I can continue to manually repair what's 'held back',
> that seems safer to me.

Use aptitude instead and you can work out any last-second package
conflict/depends aliens before you commit to downloading and
installing/removing.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca