Re: Clarify Sarge Release

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:45:45PM +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 Jun 2005 20:17, Jim Hall wrote:
> > Now that Sarge is released, do I need to point 'update' & 'upgrade' to
> > "stable", or leave Sarge as the target?
>
> No, you can do nothing, if you like.
>
> Pointing it to "stable" would only do something once the next release happens.
> Then, the new "stable" would be uhh... whatever that new name is, and then
                                                       ^^^^^^^^ etch

> you'd see lots of upgradable packages.  For now, it'll make no difference.
>
> Basically, if you intend to specifically use sarge and nothing else, put sarge
> in there.  You might do that if sarge does what you need and you're following
> the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.
>
> On the other hand, if you intend to keep upgrading to the most modern stable
> system available, and you don't want to manually do the switch (although
> it'll essentially be manual anyway) use "stable".

By specifying "sarge", you will have control over when the huge upgrade from
sarge to etch happends.  This might be what you want on a mission-critical
system if, say, you don't want everything changing the day your major
project is due.

By specifying "stable", the upgrade to etch will happen more-or-less when Debian
decides etch is stable,