Re: Clarify Sarge Release

Lee Braiden wrote:
On Wednesday 08 Jun 2005 20:17, Jim Hall wrote:

Now that Sarge is released, do I need to point 'update' & 'upgrade' to
"stable", or leave Sarge as the target?

No, you can do nothing, if you like.

Pointing it to "stable" would only do something once the next release happens. Then, the new "stable" would be uhh... whatever that new name is, and then you'd see lots of upgradable packages. For now, it'll make no difference.

Basically, if you intend to specifically use sarge and nothing else, put sarge in there. You might do that if sarge does what you need and you're following the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.

On the other hand, if you intend to keep upgrading to the most modern stable system available, and you don't want to manually do the switch (although it'll essentially be manual anyway) use "stable".

Sounds good. Next link in the chain, will I have to use 'dist-upgrade'? Those times I've used it have usually had bad results. If I can continue to manually repair what's 'held back', that seems safer to me.

Jim