Re: gnome-panel .. gone .. #@!!!!

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Mike Ward wrote:

If there was ever a thing that taught me to not get relaxed and take
it for granted that apt-get would handle everything nicely for me,
this is it.

/me grumbles and goes back to his panel-less desktop.

This amounts to more or less and inconvenience for me. Since I get a menu when I right click on the desktop background and one of the items is an xterm, I can always start progs from the cli. The hassle of switching between progs can be handled fairly effectively by the good ole alt-tab sequence. Just BE SURE NOT TO MINIMIZE ANY PROG or it will disappear into the unfathomable chasm of panelessness (and becomes zombies there, no doubt)! I also run a second WM--ion3--which has better keyboard support than Gnome. These are the workarounds I'm using til the problem's fixed.

James

PS A newly-discovered ancient Chinese proverb: when Debain releases, wise man running unstable does not dist-upgrade hastily :)