Re: Top posting

On 6/9/05, Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 03:44:04PM -0400, Jin Juku wrote:
> > I guess I really am a newbie, because I have no idea what this
> > top-posting business is supposed to mean ... we're not supposed to
> > send new, clean messages to the list ...?
>
> Quotes properly (in the "no top-posting" belief system) go ABOVE new
> material, not below it.
>
> People who hate top-posting (including me) find it illogical and broken.
> The experience of reading it seems like, "Here's a fragment that makes no
> sense, and now that you're puzzled here's a confusing, out-of-sequence list
> of the things that fragment is responding to."  The system I'm using here,
> quoted material followed by response, means that reading it corresponds to
> the order in which the material was created and makes more sense.
> --
> Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
> If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.
>         -Bruce Tognazzini
>

> --
about it, at most), and I was wondering as well. Actually, I even made
the same incorrect assumption.

>From the perspective of someone that doesn't follow the list
religiously, just pops around a bit and quite honestly probably only
reads one message out of a thousand, I kind of think the weekly FAQ or
posting guidelines is a good idea. To put it bluntly, I'm sure that a
lot of people just aren't concerned enough to study a FAQ page
somewhere, but if every week or two (even monthly) a message pops up
that reminds them, they'd probably take note.

Afterall, I honestly never had heard of 'top-posting' before until
now, but just this gentle reminder means that at least one occasional
user is now posting more 'correctly'.