Re: Top posting

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:34:53 -0400
Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 June 2005 12:55 pm, David Jardine wrote:
> > be getting out of hand :)
> > us a lecture on top posting sometime soon?  It seems to
> > Isn't some authoritative voice on the list going to give
> >

> My point (with all do respect and no insult intended): You may not
s/do/due? :-)        ^^

> like top  posting, but all of us on the 'net, even in technical groups
> like this, are  dealing more and more with newcomers to the Internet.
> We can try to educate  them, but things are changing.  Maybe instead
> of judging others and expecting  everyone to conform, we should *ALL*
> keep an open mind, otherwise we might  find others are being as
> judgemental of us as we are of others.

I've been on this mailing list for at least 3 years now. In that time
and on other mailing lists before it, I have seen a lot of people say
the same thing you said in your last paragraph. Yet I still see a lot of
people tell newbies what the correct netiquette is for this list and a
lot of newbies learn how to do it correctly.

So, my point is that I have not seen any evidence to back up your
claims and say that we need to change our style on this list. Newbies
seem to be as capable of learning things as any other user. I am not
saying we should flame anybody that does top post, but I do not think we
need to stop educating them, either.

Just my $0.02.

Jacob