dpkg status (deinstall) question

Now that Sarge has gone stable and I have done an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' I am left with only a few packages held back. These are all, I believe, due to the fact that I have put them on 'hold.' I don't think that any of them are held back for other reasons. I have more packages on hold than are held back, so I assume that the others are current, even though I have them on hold.

Looking through the output of 'dpkg --get-selections', however, see a lot of packages with a status of 'deinstall.' Are these packages that should be uninstalled, but for some reason are being kept? I have not noticed this status before, and am curious about it.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com