Re: Problems Mounting Digital Camera

> is it possible? i
> mean, access my cam w/ gphoto and not mounting it?

Yes, this is how my Canon Powershot S30 works, and many other cameras
too I believe.  I never mount my camera as a file system.  Instead I
just run digikam, which is a front end for libgphoto2, which "sees" my
camera and knows how to manipulate its contents.

Other cameras do get mounted as file systems, which seems more
convenient since it allows you to manipulate their contents without the
intermediary of gphoto2.  But if your camera isn't one of those, there's
nothing you can do about it.  Of course there is the newer
gphoto-fuse-fs option that I mentioned.  I've never tried that, and it
requires the fuse module.  But it may work for you.

> maybe some module
> to be loaded by the kernel should fix it?

FWIW, below are my notes about how I got gphoto2 to work.  It seems that
I needed usb support, hotplug, and Video4Linux.

Good luck,
Andrew.

2004-03: read /usr/share/doc/libgphoto2-2/README.Debian.  The
instructions below are somewhat dated.

2003-09:
To set up gphoto2 I followed the instructions in the gphoto2 manual
section 4.3,
http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html.  Also,
the Video4Linux kernel module is required for USB cameras.

First I set up USB.  In the end all that was needed was to include USB
support (especially "Preliminary USB file system support") in the
kernel, and install hotplug.  usbdevfs is then automatically mounted
for me at boot time, presumably by hotplug, under /proc/bus/usb.

To set up gphoto2, again I followed the instructions:

mkdir /usr/lib/hotplug/libgphoto2
/usr/lib/libgphoto2-2/print-usb-usermap > \
    /usr/lib/hotplug/libgphoto2/usb.usermap
update-usb.usermap

which includes the contents of /usr/lib/hotplug/libgphoto2/usb.usermap
(camera descriptions) into /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap.

Then I borrowed the sample script
/usr/share/doc/gphoto2/linux-hotplug/usbcam.group and copied it to
/etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam.  All this script does is change the group
ownership of a newly plugged-in camera to camera, and set the group rw
permissions.

I also created the "camera" group, which should include all console
users.

Finally I set

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/camera camera \
    /usr/bin/digikam 100