Re: [xine-user] Cracking noise playing Audio CDs on kaffeine/xine

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:55:15PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Perfect application for strace.  Use:
>
> strace -o LOG.txt kaffeine
>
> Wait until you see kaffeine issue "device is busy" and then kill kaffeine.
>
> Load up the file LOG.txt with an editor.  Do a search for "device is busy".
> There should be an open() statement somewhere before the error message is
> printed.  Probably not too far away, in fact.
>
> That should tell you not only what device file kaffeine attempted to open,
> but also why it couldn't open it.

Excellent idea ! I'm ashamed I didn't think of it. Well, preliminary
results:

- no sign of the error msg in the strace log, although I could see that
  an alsa device was repeatedly opened/closed successfully:
  /dev/snd/controlC0
- ran kaffeine with verbose output and found some promising msgs:

audio_alsa_out: pcm hw_params failed: Invalid argument
audio_out: open failed!

I'll delve more into this before I bother you again. If (when) I
discover the problem, I'll post it back.

Once again, thanks !
Paulo