problem of bringing up pppoe on boot

Deal all,

I used /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot to have pppoe bring up on boot time.
Although ppp_on_boot is an obsolete method, it worked well untill I
made an "apt-get dist-upgrade" yesterday.

My Linux box has two ethernet cards, eth1 for internal networking and
eth0 for pppoe. I found eth0 is not up when the the system boots, eth1
is OK.

I read the /usr/share/doc/ppp/readme.Debian.gz. Added these lines to
/etc/network/interfaces:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet ppp
        provider dsl-provider

But eth0 wasn't up after /etc/init.d/network had run.   I have to manually run

ifconfig eth0 up

before I run

pon dsl-provider

What's the correct way to bring up pppoe on boot time?  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Dai Yuwen