Re: [xine-user] Cracking noise playing Audio CDs on kaffeine/xine

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:11:54PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Try this:
>
> 1. Open kaffeine/xine and start playing something.  2. Open a mixer
> program.  Make sure the settings are not cranked up while kaffeine is
> playing.

Thanks for the persistence !

After I replied to your 1st e-mail, I realized that I was using OSS,
driver sb. I then installed alsa-modules for my kernel (2.4.27.2-686)
and driver snd-sb8 loaded Ok. Now I can still play audio CDs with kscd,
but kaffeine/xine spit the message:

Audio output unavailable. Device is busy

I can still play internet audio streams with kaffeine/xine but not audio
CDs.

Killed kscd, but kaffeine/xine spits the same message when I try to play
audio CDs. I'm not quite sure which device is busy. I must be missing
something about alsa setup. I just installed the alsa packages and
loaded the driver manually with:

modprobe snd-sb8 port=0x220 irq=5 dma8=1

Any hints ?

> Does kaffeine have some kind of audio output plugin?  Perhaps an audio
> output thing (like using libsdl or native alsa for audio, kinda like
> how mplayer does it).

Not quite sure what you mean by this.

> Does kaffeine still crackle if you "renice -20" it?

Couldn't get to this stage because now it won't start playing.

> Sorry, I didn't realize that an app actually worked OK.  That makes it
> much harder.  These suggestions are all grasping at straws, so please
> don't laugh.  :)

The laughs are on me, for my ignorance of so much basic stuff !

Thanks for your patience !
Paulo