Re: [xine-user] Cracking noise playing Audio CDs on kaffeine/xine

Hi Peter,

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 04:56:13PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> james was suggesting to kill arts and see if your sound is any better.  this
> effectively kills the middleman -- your audio program will interact directly
> with the sound hardware instead of needing to interact with another user
> land program which in turn will interact with the audio hardware.  so:

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time for such a detailed
and patient explanation. It really set the ground clear for me.

I killed arts (actually disabled Sound System at KDE's Control Center,
but made sure the process wasn't really running) and tried to play an
audio CD again:

With kaffeine/xine  the same cracking/skipping sound while playing
With kscd	    played perfectly

> another thing you may want to try is to make sure your mixer settings are
> about 50% - 75% of their maximum setting using a mixer program like xmix,
> cam, or nmixer.  adjust your speakers appropriately.  see if that helps.
>
> also, if you have them, try a different set of speakers.  if your speakers
> are really old, the cones might be brittle or even cracked which can cause
> crackling.
>
> also, wiggle your wires.  loose audio connections can also cause crackling.

Mixer, speakers and wires should be OK because I can play audio CDs with
kscd without the noises I hear with kaffeine/xine.

So, excluded sound daemon, hardware and mixer, would be there be
anything else to look into ?

Thanks
Paulo