Re: Cannot boot Debian Unstable after shutdown.

Carl Fink wrote:

>On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 09:19:28PM -0400, KS wrote:
>

>>And the last = sign keeps on blinking, nothing happens. The rescue disk
>>also gave similar results!
>>

>Bootloaders need to know the physical location of the kernel.  If it moved
>and you didn't rerun whatever Grub uses to update the bootloader (I only
>know Lilo), you'd get something much like that.

You don't do this for grub. Grub reads the kernel from the file system.
It knows about ext2/ext3, xfs, etc.. From the messages, it seems that
the kernel and initrd are loaded. It just doesn't boot. This can happen
if the kernel image is corrupted.

What I would do is remove the save default option. I would also type in
the boot commands by hand on the command line. That is,

root(hd1,0)
kernel   /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1-686 root=/dev/hdb7 single
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.11-1-686
boot

Maybe menu.lst got corrupted or something.

What is weird is that the root seems to be /dev/hdb1, but the root
partition is /dev/hdb7... I thought the days of a /boot partition were
long gone.

If this doesn't help, I would boot from the installation media and see
if the file system is still intact.

- Adam