Re: Sound in Ppracer

On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:50:21 +0200
Jonathan Kaye <jonathan.kaye@univie.ac.at> wrote:

> En/La Jacob S ha escrit, a 26/05/05 20:25:
> | On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:48:01 +0200
> | Jonathan Kaye <jonathan.kaye@univie.ac.at> wrote:
> |
> | <snip>
>
> | I just installed it and it worked - no configuration needed.
> |
> | What sound drivers and sound daemon are you using? I'm using esd
> output | through alsa drivers.
> |
> | It depends on libsdl, which would also have an affect on sound. Make
> | sure you have the right version of libsdl installed to match your
> sound | drivers. (I'm using libsdl1.2debian-esd in Sarge.)
> |
> | Oh, and I don't have midi working on my computer (at least midi
> didn't | work the last time I tried it) and music still works in
> ppracer. |
> | HTH,
> | Jacob
> |

> Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm running alsa. I tried turning on
> the esd daemon but no help. Some information: I ran tuxracer with no
> problem, including the music files which sound identical to the
> ppracer ones. Remember I can play them by themselves with the
> cheesetracker player. This makes me think it's not a sound
> driver/midi/deamon issue. When I run ppracer from the command line I
> get this: %%% ppracer warning: FAILED to load music file
> music/start1-jt.it: Unrecognizedmusic format
> %%% ppracer warning: FAILED to load music file music/options1-jt.it:
> Unrecognized music format
> %%% ppracer warning: FAILED to load music file music/race1-jt.it:
> Unrecognized music format
> %%% ppracer warning: FAILED to load music file music/wonrace1-jt.it:
> Unrecognized music format
>
> This is what made me look for something to play .it files and I found
> cheese tracker. The problem is to plug in the cheese tracker engine
> into ppracer, or so it seems to me.
> Re: libsdl1.2, I just have libsdl1.2debian installed. If I try to
> install libsdl1.2debian-esd, it wants to remove libsdl1.2debian-oss
> and tuxracer-data. This suggest that tuxracer was using alsa oss
> emulation and ppracer wants libsdl1.2-esd. If yours worked right out
> of the box maybe you hadn't previously had tuxracer? Anyway does this
> make sense? cheers,
> Jonathan

Except, I don't have cheesetracker installed and ppracer plays the music
just fine.

apt/dpkg is right in wanting to remove libsdl1.2debian-oss to install
libsdl1.2debian-esd. They are both sdl sound libraries, but one uses esd
and the other uses oss. Only one should be needed and having multiples
would confuse programs as to which they are supposed to use (at best;
at worst they overwrite each other's files and neither works).

Also, I did have tuxracer installed previously, so it shouldn't be the
upgrade to ppracer. Did you maybe use oss sound drivers previously and
recently switched to alsa? Or maybe Alsa's oss emulation isn't working
on your machine any more? (If oss emulation is working in alsa, you
should be able to play some .wav files in xmms using the oss output
plugin, as a test.)

HTH,
Jacob