ppracer much slower than tuxracer

I am running Debian testing which has recently transitioned from tuxracer
to ppracer 0.3.1.

The game has slowed by at least an order of magnitude, based on
side-by-side testing with a backed-up copy of old tuxracer.  The results
are consistent after trying several graphics cards.  With old Tuxracer I
get 20-30fps, while ppracer gives 2-5fps.  (The tested cards refresh glxgears
at 250-730fps).

These results were seen on older hardware (K6-3 450MHz w/first gen 3D
graphics cards).  I can understand how this problem might not be as noticable
on fast hardware.