Re: Issues with network card and installer [WAS: Re: Fwd: Re: Probably a stupid question but...]

Well this could explain one of the problems but not the majority:

http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianInstallerFAQ

Question 22: Why isn't my NIC supported by DebianInstaller, I know the "tg3"
driver supports it!

Answer: As tg3 contains firmware which does not seem to meet the requirements
of DFSG (the Debian Free Software Guidelines), a decision was made to remove
the driver from debian packaged kernels (more information here and here). Now
this has mostly been resolved with a version of the driver that does not
contain such firmware and should work with most cards. You should not have
problems with the latest version of the installer.