Re: tape drive help

Andrew,

thanks, i actually have  read the mt man page and
everything... i still don't have a real solid concept
of what is going on w/ tape changing devices and what
not... i read up on mtx, and ran mtx status.  here's
the output:

  Storage Changer /dev/sg2:2 Drives, 31 Slots ( 1
Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 1
Loaded):VolumeTag = AA1586
Data Transfer Element 1:Full (Storage Element 4
Loaded):VolumeTag = AA1596
      Storage Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=AA1589
      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=AA1592
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=A36819
      Storage Element 17:Full :VolumeTag=AA1587
      Storage Element 18:Empty
      Storage Element 30:Empty
      Storage Element 31 IMPORT/EXPORT:Empty
does that mean i have 17 tape drives?  My kernel only
detects two... (ntsc0 and ntsc1).  I'm not even sure
what the real hardware has because i've never seen
it... what is the meaning of this mtx output?

thanks,
Cameron Matheson

--- Andrew Schulman <andrex@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:
> > I got assigned to set up a new backup system here
> at
> > work, so i've decided to go w/ amanda.  Everything
> > seems to be great, except for the fact that i have
> no
> > experience w/ tape whatsoever.  I've configured
> amanda
> > so that it works and will back up to my tape drive
> > /dev/nst0, but i would like to be able to use
> > /dev/nst1 as well.  Amanda seems to have  that
> kind of
> > functionality through writing tape-changing
> scripts,
> > but i just don't know enough about tapes to get it
> > going.  I'm running a Spectra 1200C (it has 30
> slots
> > and 2 drives), w/ two tape drives (sony
> sdx-700c's)...
> > i don't even know how to switch from nst0 to nst1
> > (which is now inaccessible) from the command
> line... i
> > checked for a tape HOWTO, but i didn't see one...
> > where can i learn about this stuff?  how can i get
> my
> > other tape-driving working w/ amanda?
>
> mt(1) provides many tape management commands; see
> the man page.
>
> The tar info page also has some useful information
> about tapes.  See the
> section titled "Tapes and Other Archive Media".
>
> Good luck,
> Andrew.

Yahoo! Mail