[pre|post]-install in modules.conf don't work

Hello,

I'm running debian unstable and I can't seem to make pre- and post-install
directives in modules.conf work. For example, I have the following lines that
worked in my fedora box in /etc/modutils/lirc (and modules.conf) to make serial
ir-dongle work with lirc:

alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial io=0x3f8 irq=4
pre-install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

But these don't work with my debian installaition. That is, the pre-install
directive won't get run. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in debian=

TIA, juhis