Re: how do you protect from spammers in Debian lists?

On Friday May 13 2005 3:20 am, Nacho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that the email addresses in the archive of this list
> are not hidden, I mean that in other archives of other lists if you
> want to see the real email address of somebody you have to give
> your mail to receive it, or simply you can send a message to
> him/her from the web...
>
> So I think it's very easy for anybody to automatically extract all
> of the email addresses from the web archive.

Not that munging helps in the least.
http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful

> I have spam filters and so, and also my email address for this list
> is just for this and for nothing more, I have set up a SPF record
> in DNS for my domain... but well, I think it would be better if
> email addresses were not directly listed in the archive...

So you want the spammers to win while you cower in fear?

> So I was wondering if you have a trick for this, like for example a
> majordomo command that hides your email in the archive or something
> similar, I understand that if I put a false email to cheat the
> spammers (such as mymail@mySPAMNOPLEASEdomain.com) in the From
> fields of the messages I send to this list then they will be
> rejected...

Report spam instead.  Just hitting delete does nothing to solve the
problem.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca