Re: how do you protect from spammers in Debian lists?

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 07:45:41AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Not that munging helps in the least.
> http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful

Interesting link, thanks for it.

> > I have spam filters and so, and also my email address for this list
> > is just for this and for nothing more, I have set up a SPF record
> > in DNS for my domain... but well, I think it would be better if
> > email addresses were not directly listed in the archive...
>
> So you want the spammers to win while you cower in fear?
>
> Report spam instead.  Just hitting delete does nothing to solve the
> problem.

Believe me, I've reported spam many times, most of the times the ISP just
didn't care about it; my experience is that ISPs worried about spam take the
measures they need so it never happens with their servers, so most spammers
use servers which they know that are "spam friendly".

Sure that hitting delete does nothing to solve the problem, but I'm afraid
there is not a full solution now...

It's very easy to have a spammer server listed in DDBB such as spamcop, I
think this is a good thing, but also causes lots of troubles to many people
who used the blocked server.

Sincerely, I don't have many hopes for a "good" solution for spam... I'm
afraid it will be used as a excuse to justify freedom decreases in the use of
email on the Internet. I can't believe that people who send those stupid spam
messages really earn money...

Anyway, I will try not to cower in fear ;-)

Best regards:

Nacho

--
No book comes out of a vacuum (G. Buehler)
http://www.lascartasdelavida.com