Re: ckermit debian package is not .deb! How will I install it?

* Siju George:

> If I download the ckermit debian package from
>
> ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/bin/cku209.linux-i386-db3.0
>
> how would i install it in debian??

This looks like an executable binary. You can just download it, make it
executable (with a file manager or on the console with 'chmod 755
/path/to/file'. But I suggest you use apt instead.

> it doesnot see to be a .deb package

Correct.

> I am not able to install ckermit using
>
> #apt-get install ckermit
>
> because I chose "no" while I was asked about instaling non-free
> software while configuring apt during debian install. How do I change
> that??

Open your /etc/apt/sources.list with a text editor. You most probably
have lines like these (mirror or distribution may differ):

deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/       sarge           main contrib

Just add the word 'non-free' after 'main contrib' in all lines and try
an 'apt-get update'. If you get some 404 Errors, remove non-free from
the offending lines.

J.
--
I cannot comprehend the idea of chemical and biological weapons.
[Agree]   [Disagree]